Actually, all of the ballot questions show that vague, stereotypes, and fear are on the ballot.
Prop 144 started out as the MAGA rep and attorney Alexander Kolodin-crafted HCR2001.
Note: AZPM has the video of a debate on Prop 144 here.
Caveat: There were two people speaking at the debate, and I know one of them. Randy Keating, a member of the Tempe City Council, spoke in opposition to the proposition. I've known Councilman Keating for many years. However, I thought Prop 144 was a bad idea *long* before I was aware that he was part of the organized opposition to the measure.
Kolodin is running for Secretary of State, a position that he can use to turn his anti-democracy ideas into public policy without the rest of the legislature, the governor, or even the Arizona Bar Association getting in his way.
Note2: There was a debate between incumbent AZ Secretary of State, Adrian Fontes and Kolodin. Two things were obvious from that debate:
1. Kolodin is woefully unqualified for the job. Watch the debate.
2. Fontes and Kolodin *really* don't like each other. Watch the debate.
Anyway, back to Prop 144. Not only is it aimed very specifically at people who vote by mail (which includes me, and has for over 20 years), at no point does it explain how voters will comply with its provisions, if it is approved by voters.
Nor does it establish a way for it to pay for the requirements it seeks to impose on county recorders.
Also, I thought constitutions (state and national) were about restricting governments. Kolodin (et. al.) wishes to use the Arizona Constitution to restrict the people of Arizona.
No comments:
Post a Comment