Thursday, September 26, 2024

Clay Higgins' comments about Haitian immigrants were utterly bigoted and vile...but he's right about one thing.

Oh, not the comments themselves, which I've already said are utterly bigoted and vile, but something else he said while (fruitlessly) attempting to defend the comments.


From NPR -

Louisiana Rep. Clay Higgins walks back racist comments about Haitians after backlash

Louisiana Rep. Clay Higgins on Thursday retracted comments he made about Haitian immigrants in a now-deleted social media post.

"You never want to intentionally hurt someone’s feelings, and that post was intended for Haitian gangs, you understand?” Higgins, a Republican, told reporters. "The unintended impact that was expressed very sincerely from one of my colleagues very graciously, that touched me as a gentleman.”


Well, one thing's clear - he's got the whole "non-apology apology" thing down pat.

He was right about one thing, though he didn't go far enough. 

From later in the same article -

Asked about his comments on CNN later Wednesday, Higgins defended the tweet.

“It’s all true,” Higgins said, according to the news organization. “I can put up another controversial post tomorrow if you want me to. I mean, we do have freedom of speech. I’ll say what I want.”

He *does* have the right to say what he wants.

The thing is, the rest of us can evaluate his personal character based on what he says.

We have.


No comments: