Saturday, May 20, 2023

2024 Statements of Interest: The Differences Between Counties Can Be Stark

I realize that it's early and that things could, and probably will, change.

Also, just because someone declares an interest in a elected office doesn't mean that they will appear on a ballot.


I would expect a better Democratic candidate turnout in a county won by Joe Biden in 2020 and Katie Hobbs in 2022 (Maricopa).

In Pima County, seven of the 14 people who have filed statements of interest and declared a party affiliation (one I has filed) are Democrats.  50%.

















In Maricopa County, three out of 21 people who have filed are Democrats.  ~14%.











I don't know much (OK, *anything*) about Pima County politics, so I'll leave commenting on the candidates there (so far) to someone who knows more than I do; in Maricopa County, the only name that I recognize (other than incumbents running for re-election) is Jerry Sheridan, one of Joe Arpaio's deputies and a failed 2020 candidate for sheriff.  He wants to run for county sheriff again.

Maricopa County school board candidates are listed here;  As those races are nominally non-partisan (someone should tell the Rs that), none list a declared party affiliation.









No comments: