Sunday, October 30, 2022

Early ballots: return 'em

On 10/28, Ron Williams at Blog for Arizona published a piece urging people that have early ballots to return them ASAP

He presented an idealistic argument for doing so, and was right, but I'm going to present a more practical argument.


When you know who you are going to vote for, vote and return your ballot.

 

It won't do anything about the ads permeating our radios and TVs, or do anything about the campaigns that don’t have enough money to buy lists of who has returned a ballot, but most of the texts and emails will stop.


I received my ballot on a Friday, and as I already knew who I was going to vote for, I filled it out and returned it on Saturday, dropping it off at the post office.  By Monday, I had received a text message from Maricopa County Elections telling me that my ballot had been received.


Within a few days, the candidate texts and/or emails had all but stopped.


I still get a few from PACs (the vast majority) or out-of-state candidates (not many), bur most have stopped.


If you have one, I recommend mailing by Tuesday (due to Trump-era cuts to USPS, service may be slower).  If you cannot mail it by then, drop it off in a secure drop box or at your polling place by 7 p, m. on election day.


The link goes to a list of drop box locations in Maricopa County.


No comments: