That has inspired an Arizona-centric list. Much like the national list, there are many items that were worthy of consideration, but there's only room for 10.
10. The incoming R caucus in the state senate electing Russell Pearce (R-National Alliance) as the body's president. They apparently took him at his word when he pledged to them that his focus would be on balancing the state's budget, not on attacking immigrants and immigration.
So what are his plans for next week? To venture to D.C. to pimp legislation attacking the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
9. Jan Brewer announcing that there were headless bodies in the Arizona desert, left there by undocumented immigrants.
8. Barry Wong, an R candidate for Arizona Corporation Commission, tried to "out-demonize" the nuts in his own party by campaigning on a plan to compel Arizona's utility companies (power, phone, water) to cut off services to undocumented immigrants.
7. Trent Franks, Arizona's delegate to the IQ-deprived caucus in Congress, pronouncing that African-Americans were better off under slavery.
6. John McCain - "Build the dang fence".
5. Steve May, a former Republican legislator, trying to restart his career as an elected official by running for the legislature in LD17 and recruiting a number of homeless people from Tempe to run as faux Green Party candidates. When his scheme was discovered and publicized nationally, he dropped out of the race, leaving his recruits hanging.
4. Jon Kyl and John McCain, Arizona's Twin
3. Joe Arpaio cracking open the piggy bank, even incurring a fine of almost $154K, in order to campaign against a fellow Republican.
2. There was a wave of violent acts directed at Democrats all across the country, including here in Arizona. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' office was targeted because of her vote in favor of health care reform, and Congressman Raul Grijalva's office was targeted because of his vocal opposition to the nativists' SB1070.
1. Jan Brewer and the brain freeze that was heard 'round the world.
Still, of all of the jaw-droppers from the AZGOP this year, none of them top this video from Ohio for sheer entertainment value -