Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Mitchell donates books to help a homeless shelter in Mesa

There are days when Congressman Harry Mitchell drives me nuts with some of his votes (FISA renewal from 2007 and 2008 still steams me) and positions (the feds shouldn't sue AZ over SB1070) but then there are the days when I am reminded that he is inarguably the best human being to represent Tempe and Scottsdale in Congress in, like, ever.

From ABC15.com -
U.S. Rep. Harry Mitchell donated 130 books he obtained from the Library of Congress to a homeless shelter in Mesa Wednesday.
A New Leaf's La Mesita Family Homeless Shelter, a non-profit organization, accepted the donation at the morning event.

"As a former teacher, I know how important it is to make sure our youth and families have the resources and supplies necessary for learning," said Mitchell. "A quality education is a priority in our local communities, and reading helps not only improve literacy, but also build fundamental skills for the future."
I'm sure that his would-be challengers in the Republican primary in CD5 will decry this as a sign that Mitchell is "too liberal."
 
I have to ask, however -
 
When did working to improve the lives of one's constituents become an ideological position, and when did being a decent human being become an unacceptable trait in elected officials?
 
Note: financial contributions to A New Leaf can be made here.
 

1 comment:

Thane Eichenauer said...

I'm all in favor of good books in the hands of people who would appreciate them. But I'll point out that the taxes that paid for the books that the Library of Congress provided came from Arizona residents, not just Harry Mitchell. I certainly think he deserves plenty of credit but if not for taxpayers there wouldn't be books to donate.

And no matter how nice a congressperson Harry Mitchell in other realms I do not forget that he voted in favor of imposing government health care upon America which is not nice.