Sunday, March 13, 2022

Best TV theme music

For those who think that I'm "all politics, all the time". :)


I have some breadth. :) :)


Note: most of the links are to YouTube, so expect lots of ads.


For the record, I can only discuss/rate the music of TV shows from when I was alive and old enough to form an opinion.  For example, the TV show Mission:Impossible was on when I was alive, but I was too young to realize that the theme music was really good.  So, it gets an Honorable Mention here.


IMO, the best theme music came from the 1970s - The Rockford Files.  The 70s had many TV shows with outstanding theme music, including (but not limited to) Hawaii Five-O, The Jeffersons, Baa Baa Black Sheep/Black Sheep Squadron, Good Times, etc.  I would include WKRP in Cincinnati here, but only if we can ignore the song over the opening credits (it was more than a little lame) and keep the music over the end credits (the best ever song over the end credits).


80s - Hill Street Blues


90s - Renegade.  My nominee for the award for "Best Theme Song for a Bad TV Show".


And with that, we end the Mike Post period.  He created many fantastic theme songs over his long career..


2000s - Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I know that the show (and music) started in the 90s, but this is my list, so I get to make the rules.  It was also great.


2010s - Rizzoli and Isles.


2020s - too soon to evaluate, but I don't hold out much hope for this decade - MBA types are already running TV shows, and are cutting out theme songs in order to air more ads.

No comments: