Monday, April 15, 2013

Horror in Boston

By now, everyone has heard of the bomb explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.

As of this writing, three of the victims have died and well more than 100 have suffered injuries, with some of the injured in critical condition.

I don't have much to say about this right now, my thoughts are just too jumbled, but I can say this -

The completely (but, I hope, understandably) selfish part of me is grateful that my friends and family who work in Boston are all OK.  News reports are that these bombs were "small" devices, but my sister Patti works over a mile away and 38 stories above the explosions, and she heard them.  And the seemingly never-ending wail of sirens.

The incredibly sad part of me extends condolences to the friends and families of those who died today, and sends my thoughts and prayers for a quick and full recovery to those who were injured.

The wholeheartedly grateful part of me says "thank you" to the first responders, Marathon volunteers, and simply courageous human beings who ran *toward* the danger to help the victims.   If there is a silver lining to be found in all of this, it is the reaffirmation that there is more good in human nature than bad.

And the unspeakably angry part of me has just one word to say to the coward or cowards behind the attack -

Run.


No comments: