Monday, January 17, 2011

Statements from candidates running to be officers of the Arizona Democratic Party

Still more candidate statements, this time from the candidates running for one of the three Vice Chairwoman spots:

Letter from Sherry B. Williams, candidate for the office of Vice Chairwoman



Date: January 12, 2011


From: Sherry B. Williams, Candidate for Vice Chairwoman


To: Awesome State Committee Persons of the Arizona Democratic Party,


I am a lifelong Democrat and have been active in campaigns, elections and registering voters in large numbers in Georgia, North Carolina, Illinois and Arizona. As an undergraduate, I was a Congressional Intern on Capitol Hill in 1979. I have attended three Democratic National Conventions: Atlanta in 1988, New York in 1992 (as an elected Illinois Delegate), and Chicago in 1996.


In Arizona since 2001, I have worked on numerous campaigns including Gore & Kerry and was just re-elected PC, State Committee woman and 2nd Vice Chair in LD 15 for the next 2 years. I am a member of the Phoenix Women’s Commission and several local and national organizations. I have helped ADP with many fair booths, parades, workshops and meetings.


From 2008 until filing to run for office in 2010, I worked at ADP headquarters as the Administrative Assistant at the front desk always excited to welcome you and take your phone


calls. I continued to work in the community while registering voters, signing up PEVL voters, and inviting these voters to become active in their legislative district.


In 2010, I was a candidate for Clerk of the Superior Court of Maricopa County. Despite having a great volunteer team, Party support, and 339,549 votes (38%), I lost to the 13-year Republican incumbent. I am humbled by the support I received from PCs and SCMs from all over Arizona.


As a small business owner for 15 years and an employee for several Fortune 100 companies, I have kept my focus and efforts serving in the trenches of my diverse communities. I even served with Michelle Obama on the Blue Gargoyle Adult Literacy Board when I lived in Chicago.


As I look forward to 2012, I will help mobilize, energize and inspire more voters and donors to “run with us” to victory. My motto is “Working Together: All Will Be Well in 2012”. The capitol of Arizona is Phoenix, so let’s rise from the ashes in 2012! We can do it!


I am running for Vice Chairwoman because I have the unique political, business, and grass roots experience needed to better serve our unique demographics. I would be honored to serve as one of three Vice Chairwomen utilizing my BIG vision, contagious hope, winning strategies, and cohesive teamwork with our new Executive Board. I am energized, excited and ready to work to move AZ toward victories in 2012.


From the bottom of a grateful heart, I appreciate all you have done as PCs and State Committee persons to support ADP. Now I ask for your vote on Saturday, January 22, 2011.


Sincerely,


Sherry B. Williams
 
 
Letter from Laura Hogan, candidate for the office of Vice Chairwoman To my Democratic Brothers and Sisters,



Thank you all for your commitment to the Democratic Party as a State Committee member. I admire all of you for your willingness to share your time, ideas and energy with your fellow Democrats to make our state a better place to live.


Without a doubt we have our work cut out for us through the next two years. I am asking for your vote of confidence to serve you during that time as one of the female Vice-Chairs on the State Executive Committee for the next two years. I ask for your consideration of my candidacy on two levels


a.


My experience and commitment to the Arizona Democratic Party (ADP)for the last ten years as an activist, volunteer, and donor and


b.


The perspective, knowledge and energy I would bring to the table as a member of the ADP Executive Committee for the next two years.


As the daughter of a teacher and an IBEW electrician, the wife of a Steelworker and a union member myself, my knowledge and experience in the labor movement will continue to be an asset to the Party and to my fellow Democrats.


I have served the Democratic Party in Arizona as a volunteer, a donor and an active committee member. I was elected in 2004 and 2006 to serve as District Chair in Legislative District 30. During that time I learned the importance of working within the rules but outside of the box when necessary to reach my desired goals. In the very diverse District 30 I found it valuable to work with the various area clubs to supplement and amplify the work of the District Committee to achieve the goals of the entire District.


I have served on the Strategic Planning Committee for the Pima County Democratic Party, the 2008 ADP Platform Committee and am a current member of the ADP Resolutions Committee. In those positions I have witnessed the growth of the infrastructure and resources available to Democrats on both the County and the State levels. While I have never seen a perfect coordinated campaign, I have seen the Arizona Democratic Party grow with each campaign. It is my goal to be a part of the continued progress of the Party developing a stronger message, bringing more people to the table, developing stronger grass roots ties and empowering individual activist and PC’s to take the Democratic message to their neighborhoods or constituent communities.


The by-laws simply state, “All Vice-Chairpersons shall perform such duties as are assigned to them by the state chair.” I commit to you that in addition to those duties as assigned, if I am elected as one of the Vice Chairs, I will serve as a communicator, taking the message from the grassroots in my area to the Executive Committee and bringing the news of the Executive Committee activities back to the grassroots. It is also my intention to serve the full two years of my term if I am elected.


I thank you for your service and respectfully ask for your vote for one of the Vice-Chairs of the Arizona Democratic Party.


In Solidarity,


Laura Hogan, State Committee Member


District 30, Pima County



Letter from Jo Kelleher, candidate for the office of Vice Chairwoman


Hello Fellow State Committeepersons:


I am ready to serve another term as your ADP Vice-chairwoman. I have thoroughly enjoyed my past two terms working to strengthen the Democratic Party in Arizona, and look forward to continuing to fight for Democratic values. Below are some of my accomplishments and my ideas for our next two years.


Accomplishments:


•Vice-chairwoman, ADP: 2007 – 2010


􀀹ADP trainer for candidate recruitment, headquarters management, education and communication – Yavapai, Navajo, Mohave, Maricopa Counties


􀀹Member of informal “Reform Group” promoting improved communication and decision – sharing within ADP


􀀹Chair of Bylaws Committee: 2009 – present


􀀹State Senate Candidate: 2006


•Vice-chair for Education and Communication, Yavapai County Democratic Party: 2007- present


􀀹County Party website and newsletter


􀀹Organized candidate events for 2010 campaign


􀀹Headquarters manager and volunteer


•Chino Valley Unified School District Governing Board member, currently Vice-chair


Ideas for 2011-2012


•Work hard to bring back, support, and nurture our outstanding 2010 Democratic State-wide candidates and LD candidates for the 2012 and 2014 elections.


•Continue to strengthen communication and collaborative decision-making in the Party.


•Continue to broaden our fiscal resources – recruiting new large donors and encouraging small donors.


•Develop a Policy and Procedures Manual for both staff and officers that is current and dynamic.


•Continue to pursue broad, state-wide media coverage by challenging Republican mismanagement and lack of leadership and promoting Democratic solutions.

No comments: