Friday, April 23, 2010

Brewer signs anti-immigrant police state bill

Yes, I predicted exactly this a few days ago, but deep inside, I was hoping that I was being overly cynical

In a move that surprised virtually no one, today Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed SB1070, enacting the nation's harshest anti-immigrant law. In both her signing statement and an executive order on the matter, she says that the bill, now law, won't engender racial profiling.

Nobody believes that, though.

Some, the Russell Pearces and J.D. Hayworths of the world, have publicly agreed with Brewer, but with a wink and a nod - they want profiling - it's what the law is all about.

Anyway, there are scads of articles and op-eds on Friday's developments. Here are links to a few of them -

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon in the Washington Post (normally I think that Gordon is a tool, but to his credit, he gets this one right)

Huffington Post

E.J. Dionne

Arizona Senate Democrats

Oh hell, there's lots more and I have to go to bed. Just go to Google News to read about Arizona's insanity to your heart's content.

I'll write more after my work week is over. Until then, find out where your local Democratic legislative candidates (or statewide or Congressional candidates) are canvassing this weekend, and volunteer to help. From this very minute all the way through to November.

No comments: