Monday, October 08, 2007

What they said...what they were thinking

As a courtesy to weary readers, buried under countless pap-filled statements and pontifications from public officials, I now offer a quick guide to some recent quotes.

Purely for educational purposes. :))

Mitt Romney, when confronted by a muscular dystrophy patient who needs prescribed medical marijuana to make it through each day (after being told that Romney's recommended synthetic marijuana make the patient ill) -

What he said:
"I am not in favor of medical marijuana being legal in the country," Romney said as he moved on to greet other people. (CNN)

What he was thinking:
[singing]
When a man's an empty kettle,
He should be on his mettle
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be kinda human,
If I only had a heart. (WarnerBrothers.com)


Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio on the investigation of Republican Bill Montgomery, former candidate for Attorney General (AZCentral.com)

What he said:
"It was a political thing," Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said of the complaint. "We sent people out; we just couldn't make the case."

What he was thinking:
"It was a political thing," Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said of the complaint. "We sent people out; we just don't think it's wrong for Republicans to hire illegal aliens."


John McCain during the 2000 Presidential campaign -

What he said:
"Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance," whether they be Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left or Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson on the right."

What he was thinking in 2007 when the long-time Episcopalian announced that he is a Baptist (coincidentally, he's running as a Baptist in heavily Baptist South Carolina) (The Carpetbagger Report) and proclaimed that the Constitution created the United States as a Christian nation (BeliefNet.com), as he clicks his heels together:
"I wish I was President, I wish I was President, I wish I was President."


President George Bush, from his weekly radio address -

What he said about his SCHIP veto:
...When it comes to SCHIP, we should be guided by a clear principle: Put poor children first...our Nation's goal should be to move children who have no health insurance to private coverage...

What he was thinking:
[$inging]
When a man'$ an empty kettle,
He $hould be on hi$ mettle
And yet I'm torn apart.
Ju$t becau$e I'm pre$umin'
That I could be kinda human,
If I only had a heart. (WarnerBrother$.com)

Later!

No comments: