Friday, July 14, 2006

I'm almost ashamed to be a Democrat tonight.

From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Appeasement: PACIFY, CONCILIATE; especially : to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles.

I don't know who at the DCCC made the decision to kill the web ad that has the Republicans all in a huff, but he or she (or they) needs to make it official and switch registration and enroll as a Republican. What they've done is to tell the Republicans and everyone else that the movers and shakers of the Democratic Party are easily bullied.

What the Republicans think doesn't matter, but now everyone else (like Independents and moderate leaning Reps - people whose support we need to start cleaning up the mess created by the neo-con Reps) that we can't be counted on to stand up for what's right.

I'm still going to support Democratic candidates such as Harry Mitchell, Janet Napolitano, Jim Pederson and others because they are better (by far) candidates than their opponents. However, the DCCC, like the DLC, is a detriment to the party and to the country, and will never get my support.

I understand that this attitude may offend some of the great people that I have gotten to know as I have become more active politically. That's unfortunate, because I have come to respect a lot of them and appreciate the work that they (and many others) are doing to try to make this district, state, and country better places to live.

But dammit, when I am out walking my precinct, talking to, connecting with, and (hopefully) persuading people, I want to be able to say "I'm a Democrat" with just a little pride.

Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, I'll probably calm down tomorrow, but this is one post I wanted to write while angry.

2 comments:

TimWilsonAZ said...

Remember, DCCC leaderships changes every cycle. I think Rahm has done a decent job, but I agree this is appeasement and is just not acceptable. It's pathetic.

Kevin said...

here here!

kevin - spidel.net